Proposals for Section and Working Group projects should be submitted by the Chair of the respective Section or Working Group. Joint proposals from two or more Section and/or Working Groups are also welcome. This article explains the conditions and procedures for applying for funds and includes a downloadable application form.
IAMCR’s Executive Board (EB) invites IAMCR Sections and Working Groups (S/WG) to submit funding proposals for activities that support and advance the S/WG’s agendas. A proposed activity should contribute to the following overall objectives:
- Primary objective: Strengthen and encourage S/WG’s activities outside the main IAMCR international conferences
- Secondary objective 1: Increase the participation of IAMCR members in the S/WG.
- Secondary objective 2: Enhance interaction and collaboration between IAMCR’s S/WGs beyond the main conference.
Examples include: S/WG publications (books, journals, and/or special issues of journals), S/WG organised events (workshops, small conferences, etc.), S/WG advocacy and outreach.
Examples of activities not eligible for funding include: support of activities primarily organised by others, travel by applicants to events, organisation of events within or in parallel with the main IAMCR conference.
A proposed activity should comply with the following conditions:
- It must be aimed at fulfilling the primary objective of the fund and at least one of the secondary objectives. This implies that projects that take place only during the main IAMCR international conference cannot be approved. Pre- and post-conferences will be considered, as will projects involving the publication of proceedings of specific sessions held during the main IAMCR conference. Travel to external events by one or more of the applicants is not eligible for funding.
- It must be in alignment with the IAMCR remit, as described on the IAMCR website (https://iamcr.org/objectives).
- It must have been previously presented to the members of the section or working group (at a meeting or online).
- The main applicant is the Head of an IAMCR Section or Working Group. Applications can be submitted by an individual Section or Working Group, but co-applicants are encouraged. If members of other S/WGs are co-applicants, their agreement must be provided by the Head of that S/WG.
- Proposals must include a clear description of: 1) the applicant(s), 2) the project objectives, 3) the target group(s), 4) the expected outcomes, including tangible deliverables of the project, 5) a work plan and detailed schedule, and 6) a detailed budget.
- The maximum duration of a project is two years.
- Activities that are ongoing (e.g. journals) must be self-sustainable after the initial funding – no additional financial resources will be provided by IAMCR.
- The main applicant, together with co-applicants, is responsible to IAMCR’s EB for the implementation of the project. Activities can be delegated to others, but the main applicant remains ultimately responsible.
- The requested project subsidy from IAMCR cannot exceed USD 2,000. If the total cost of the project exceeds USD 2,000, the proposal’s budget should state clearly what additional sources of funding are available to cover all costs and make the activity viable. For 2023 publication projects can request up to USD 3,000.
- A Section or Working Group can only get funding for one activity per calendar year approved (as main applicant). An application from a Section or Working Group that has received funds in 2 consecutive years will be given lower priority than one received by a Section or Working Groups that has not.
Applications are evaluated by a committee, which makes recommendations to the Executive Board. The committee members are IAMCR Treasurer, Elske van de Fliert (chair) and International Council members Kaitlynn Mendes and Sandra Ristovska. IAMCR Executive Director, Bruce Girard, is a non-voting member.
Applicants whose project has been accepted must agree to:
- Present the project at the first IAMCR conference that takes place after confirmation of project approval has been received.
- Sign an agreement with the IAMCR Executive Board using IAMCR’s template.
- Provide the IAMCR Treasurer with an account to which the project funds can be transferred. (IAMCR accounts cannot be used for the purpose of project fund management.)
- Submit a project report after completion of the proposed activities, as per instructions provided in the signed agreement.
- Prepare an article on the project for publication on the IAMCR website and distribution to the membership.
- Acknowledge IAMCR as (one of) the funding source(s) in publications and promotional materials that are materialised with the funds.
Applications can be submitted anytime of the year but will normally be evaluated two times a year:
- Decisions for applications submitted by 31 January will be announced by 28 February.
- Decisions for applications submitted by 30 September will be announced by 31 October.
After approval and signing of the agreement, the project should be launched as soon as possible and the applicant should adhere to the reporting requirements.
To apply, complete the application form and send it to IAMCR Treasurer, Elske van de Fliert.