The generalisation of extraordinary climatic events has taken part in the acceleration and the densification of mediatised discussions focusing on climate issues, a topic no more reserved for NGO and scientific actors. Those taking part in this discourse are numerous and various, making climate an inevitable and transversal theme in media coverage whichever the topic, whether war, inflation, or culturally related - amongst many others.
Has climate become a condition for visibility in the public sphere? Moreover, is it now an obligation to be considered a legitimate voice in the current debates between a diversity of actors (associations, scientists, influencers, experts, journalists, etc.)? This symposium will allow us to have a dialogue between scientific and professional knowledge to tackle these questions. It will be organised around the four following axes:
- A socio-economic perspective: climate in the newsroom (practices, professional identity, tensions);
- A semio-discursive perspective: productions focusing on climate (writings, formats in traditional and emerging media);
- A socio-political perspective: the actors mobilizing climate (logics, strategies).
- A political economic perspective: cultural and communication industries on climate changes, through their media representations of this issue as well as through their production chain (productions, applications, the carbon footprint of CCI).
Date and time
7 July 2023 | 09h30 – 17h30
Institut de la communication et des médias, Université Grenoble Alpes (11 avenue du 8 mai 1945, 38130 Echirolles. On the outskirts of Grenoble, linked to Grenoble train station by a 5-minute train ride.)
Participation and Registration
Anyone interested in the topic is welcome to attend the symposium.
Registration will be free but must be done via email (Details to be provided soon). A link to the event website will be added here soon.
The event will be in French. Brief printed summaries of the interventions will be provided in English.
The Groupe de recherche sur les enjeux de la communication, Gresec, is a research lab specialising in sciences de l’information et de la communication. It is part of the University Grenoble Alpes and is located at the Institute of Communication.
- Lucie Alexis (Assistant professor, Sciences de l’information et de la communication at the Institute of communication and Medias, University Grenoble Alpes)
- Mikael Chambru (Associate professor, University Grenoble Alpes)
- Chloe Salles (Assistant professor, Sciences de l’information et de la communication, University Grenoble Alpes)
- Ilya Kiriya, firstname.lastname@example.org, (Assistant professor in Sciences de l'information et de la communication, University Grenoble Alpes)
- Chloe Salles (organiser): email@example.com
- Evelyne Chastan (Gresec secretary): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Carine Billottet (Gresec secretary): email@example.com